Monday, June 26, 2017

Art Gallery: All Your Base Are Belong To Us


All Your Base Are Belong to Us
2000, watercolors and liquid paper on canvas

Yes, I've decided to dust off my ancient (and long dormant) blog, Daniel Thomas Vol 4, once again. If nothing else, I wanted to post my artwork on this site, if for no other reason than to show off to potential galleries and patrons.

This painting is part of my "watercanvas" series, created from 2000-2002. It uses watercolors on primed and stretched canvas. The canvas is laid down flat on the ground (with plenty of paper or plastic to protect the floor), and the paints are layered directly onto the canvas. Various amounts of water are required, depending on the effect you want to achieve. The water and paints usually require a few hours to fully dry. "Liquid Paper," or correction fluid (my favorite was the Kinko's brand) is often used as a top layer, drawn out in Jackson Pollack style.

Creation of a watercanvas painting is very quick and fluid, much like Japanese calligraphy art. If you move too slowly or too quickly, mix too many paints, use too much water, you'll end up with mud. What can I say? It's an art.

No comments: