Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Art Gallery: The Great Skatepark of Life



The Great Skatepark of Life (2000)
B-Side (2000)
Watercolors and correction fluid on canvas, 18" x 24"

Here's another very colorful addition to the Watercanvas series. I enjoyed working with the warm color tones (red-orange-yellow) because they mixed and flowed so easily. Add in a few blue-green accents and you have a nice little painting. The Kinko's correction fluid is used for short strokes and rounded dabs. I was always mindful to not just repeat the same lines and patterns with each piece.

The B-Side for this piece, as we've seen from several examples, is a collage work that resembles graffiti art and high school yearbooks. I started scribbling these on the back sides of paintings sometime around 1999 and 2000, and by 2001 I had included "B-Sides" to nearly all of my works on paper and canvas.

Eventually, this style - zine graffiti, perhaps? - became the basis for my Desk Calendar series 2007-today. Which reminds me, I still have to finish the last sketches for June 2017. And it's almost halfway through July, ack!

No comments: