Friday, July 28, 2017

Art Gallery: Yoshi Lays An Egg



Yoshi Lays An Egg (2000)
Watercolors and correction fluid on canvas, 16" x 20"

B-Side (2000)
Mixed media on canvas

Yoshi Lays An Egg is the third watercanvas painting I created, after Mario and Luigi Are Jerks (#1) and The Great American Sellout (#2). By this point, I was using watercolor tubes from the art supply stores near the University of Minnesota. The colors are very rich and saturated and flow nicely, although I was still learning the process of making watercolors paints and water on primed canvas, which is very different than the standard paper.

During 1999 and early 2000, I was using both 16" x 20" and 18" x 24" for acrylic paintings. After this piece, I pretty much used the larger size exclusively for the watercanvas series.

The title refers to the Nintendo videogame character, who lays eggs and then uses them to attack enemies in Yoshi's Island. It's just a gag, played for laughs.

No comments: