Thursday, August 03, 2017

Art Gallery: Take the Power Back



Take the Power Back (1999)
Acrylics on canvas, 16" x 20"

B-Side (2000)
Mixed media on canvas

Take the Power Back is part of a series of acrylics paintings I created in 1999. I was living in a large house in Dinkytown at the University of Minnesota, one of those student houses where everyone has a room and shares the living room and kitchen. There was a very large basement that was well-lit and well supplied, and worked perfectly for me. I was free to make a very large mess on the concrete floor with my paints and canvas.

I've always enjoyed this piece, it's one of my favorites. There's a lot of action and movement, multiple layers like an endless series of explosions. It was always my conviction that abstract expression should flow and sway. It should never be static, but alive. "Action Painting" should apply to the art and not just the artist who creates it.

The B-Side is one of the earlier ones, most likely created in 2000, but possibly began sometime in 1999 (the red marker text). The whole idea arose from my idea that art could be created that was purely text-based, not unlike newspaper or website layouts. Scott McCould was also a source of inspiration for these ideas.

No comments: